Monday, November 5, 2012

Eclair Share (recipe included)

Sarah H here!

If you live anywhere near Centerville, Utah - you are probably aware of the eclairs from Dick's Bakery. Delish. Actually, "delish" is an understatement  I mean, they have a billboard on the side of I-15 northbound with a gigantic picture of a cut-open eclair, exposing the delicious vanilla cream filling, and my mouth literally starts to water when I pass it. It is all I can do from taking the next exit, dropping $20 on a box of eclairs, and cramming them into my face in the car - because I couldn't wait until I got home - resulting in pudding prints on my steering wheel and chocolate frosting on my chin....ANYWAY...they're good. A classic baby shower dessert spread item.

I have never really considered trying to recreate them in my home kitchen. It almost seemed impossible. A task too daunting to undertake. However, my hubby has a way of making daunting tasks seem do-able and yesterday he found me the recipe and commanded that I make it happen. Ha ha. I can't say no to his adorable face so we tried it. Guess what? They were easy....thanks to a simple recipe in one of my favorite dessert cookbooks: the Lion House Desserts cookbook. And the result was shockingly similar to the ones we crave. My husband dubbed it one of the best desserts I've ever made.

So, though our approach to this blog wasn't initially about posting baking processes or recipes, I think that may change so I can get everyone making their own eclairs at home!

Here they are....not perfect...but it was my first attempt.


Tips on the recipe - when you squirt the choux paste (which I learned from Baking with Julia is the proper term for the dough used to make an eclair) you force it through a pastry bag. Make sure to have a thick tip. Mine wasn't thick enough and I ended up adding an overlap squeeze and the dough didn't puff up as nicely.

Also, on the recipe it instructs you to cut of the top to fill the dough with pudding. I made holes on the ends and used a pastry bag and tip to fill. I found that this worked well and kept the eclair intact better.

Anyway: here it is. This is my first attempt at recipe posting so I don't have all the cool tricks to make it printable. Maybe someday we'll get there!

Eclairs
from Lion House Desserts

1 cup cold water
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I used butter)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 eggs, fresh, at room temperature
vanilla pudding

Preheat oven to 375. In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a rolling boil (in Baking with Julia, Julia Child indicates to make sure it is actually a rolling boil, with the water boiling across the entire pot). While the water and butter are boiling and still on the stove, add flour and salt. Stire until the mixture clings together. Remove from stovev and place in a medium mixer. Add one egg at a time, mixing on low speed until each egg is incorporated. The batter should be shiny and smooth. Do not overwhip; too much air causes the shells to be bumpy and misshapen. Force dough through a decorating tupe onto paper-lined baking strips about 3 inches long. Bake for 25 minutes (I baked mine a little longer and have decided I might even add a little more time next time. It just depends on your oven).

(This is where I changed the filling method, but I'll put what is on the original recipe for your reference) When pastry is cool, slice off tops and scoop out any uncooked dough that may be remaining. Fill with vanilla pudding. Replace tops. Frost with Chocolate Ganache or Chocolate Frosting (I used my own chocolate frosting recipe, but the one from the original recipe is below). Chill until ready to serve. Makes approximately 36 eclairs.

Chocolate Frosting
4 Tbsp. cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
2 or 3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix cocoa and powdered sugar in mixing bowl. Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment